Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    According to this website there are 314 places in Washington that sell ethanol free gas. I think I’ll try it next time.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Kenny managed not to drop it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

dhbfaster: According to this website there are 314 places in Washington that sell ethanol free gas. I think I’ll try it next time.
    I don't see one place close by. I'm going to be trying this stuff to see if it works well. Reviews are really good and it might be about the same cost (ethanol free is more costly) in the long run.

20190620_102836.jpg

Jeff W: Kenny managed not to drop it!
    IMG_17621.jpg
    IMG_17651001.jpg

Gene and I are heading over to see Jeff and Kenny at Starbucks Headquarters tomorrow to get it, and I'll follow Gene back to his place with the Ranchero and will begin the process of doing the swap. Haven't seen anyone here raising their hands to come out and participate (which looks to be this weekend, the 29th), so should be interesting if it's just Gene and I. But it's a direct swap for the most part, so should go pretty smoothly.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?

Hilarious! must be an inside joke for the rebuilder.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Or possibly the "RECEIVER" of the shipment with a weird sense of humor. That little "defilement" made the entire pallet almost fall out of the transport vehicle.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Hilarious! must be an inside joke for the rebuilder.
    Or something left in Jeff's hands too long.

Suffice it to say, the day didn't go well after this meet-up with Jeff (and his fine Starbucks history tour). As much as we shot for getting down south before traffic got too heavy - silly me to think there is ever a time anymore when traffic isn't too heavy. Maybe 2 AM. But not 2 PM. Made it to Pacific on SR-167 and I could no longer get the car to shift correctly. Like the clutch pedal throw was no longer correct. Scramble ensued to get off the freeway, trying another route, failed, ended up at Dairy Queen calling AAA and towed it to Gene's place. The bright side? The tow truck driver had to deal with the traffic.

20190628_162716.jpg

20190628_162734.jpg

By the time we go everything to Gene's, off-loaded and uncrated the motor, staged the car in the garage... we were both done. So the day begins tomorrow again at 9. Should be a better day of progress.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It's in my garage.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Still tinkering

Well, it's been a few weeks since I drove the car home from Gene's, but with summer travels and other summer commitments, I've found almost zero time to futz with it to get it dialed in. I did discover the builder had added some balance to the harmonic balancer, so I did swap that out. Also got new plug wires and swapped the coil, since I sliced a plug wire or two on the separators (edges were so sharp, so I filed them all before putting on the new ones).

I also can't get it to run correctly on this Summit carburetor on the idle circuit. I can turn in both idle air screws and it will run. I ordered some air bleed screws and new jets for it from Summit, but there is not a lot of information out there on what bits to swap. It was running really rich before - to the point of making my eyes melt out of their sockets - and the last change I made seems to have improved that, but it didn't change the idle circuit issue.

Soooo.... I dug out all my 4100 Autolite carbs and just finished building one of those to see if it will work better. Just ordered an electric choke part (not gonna use a stove pipe version) and a new fitting to convert inverted flare to an-6 to get it installed. Fingers crossed it will improve enough to drive it, as I'm not sure what I'll do failing that. Fuel Injection or another brand carburetor - again. I've sold off 2 Edelbrocks and 3 Holleys because they're so finicky (in my previous uses of them). The 4100 is a very basic and highly respected carburetor - for as old it is - but that is the crux. They are hard to find in usable shape. Of the 4 I had (2 @ 1.08 and 2 @ 1.12 - 480 and 600 CFM, respectively), I only had one 1.12 I could build. Lots of parts though. Stay tuned.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"